Using your debit/credit card abroad
You can use your cahoot debit and credit card abroad to make purchases and to withdraw local currency from cash machines as and when you need it. Simply look for the Visa sign and feel secure knowing that it's a safer option than carrying large amounts of cash or traveller's cheques.
You can use either your cahoot debit or credit card to withdraw up to a maximum of £500 cash a day (depending on your available balance / credit limit).
Before travelling overseas
- If you're planning a trip abroad, especially outside the EU, and want to make sure your debit / credit card works just the same as it does at home, it's advisable to contact us by sending a secure message from the online banking 'Help & contact us' tab to let us know the dates you'll be away and the countries that you'll be visiting. We'll then know that any transactions made are genuine.
- Make sure your contact details, especially your mobile telephone number, are up to date, so that cahoot can contact you while you're abroad should we suspect fraudulent activity on your account. You can send us a secure message from the online banking 'Help & contact us' tab.
- You can also register for text or email alerts to keep you informed about your finances while you're away. Alternatively you can call us on 0800 5871 111. We're open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, and 9am to 5pm on Saturday (if calling from outside the UK please dial +44 1908 937 222).
We're making changes to foreign transaction fees which applies to both current accounts and savings by 15th December 2019.
From this date, you'll no longer be charged for the following transactions:
- Cash withdrawal fee (including cash machines, purchase of travellers' cheques or foreign currency at another bank, bureau de change or other outlet displaying the Visa or Mastercard sign abroad), currently 1.50% on each transaction.
- Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) - non-urgent euro transfer, currently £15.00.
Lost or stolen cards
If you think your card has been lost or stolen, or blocked for fraud protection reasons when you’ve tried to use it, you should call us as soon as possible on
0800 5871 111 (in the UK) or +44 1908 937 222 if you're outside the UK and outside working hours.
Fees and charges – debit card
Charges apply when you use your debit card abroad, unless we say otherwise:
Santander cash-machine fees in Spain:
Please note: If you're given the option of paying in either local currency or pounds, choose local currency unless you're certain that the exchange rate is more favourable. If you choose pounds, it means that the retailer or bank will handle the conversion and may charge you a conversion fee, a foreign usage fee, or both. Some cash machine providers may also apply an additional withdrawal fee for using their cash machine.
When you use your debit card abroad or online in a currency other than pounds, we convert the amount to pounds using the exchange rate set by Visa or Mastercard on the date the money is taken from your account. For more information on Visa or Mastercard Exchange, check the Visa or Mastercard website.
Fees and charges – credit card
Charges apply when you use your credit card abroad:
Please note: If you're given the option of paying in either local currency or sterling, ensure you choose local currency unless you are certain that the exchange rate is more favourable. If you choose sterling, it means that the retailer or bank will handle the conversion and may charge you a conversion fee, a foreign usage fee, or both. Some cash machine providers may also apply an additional withdrawal fee for using their cash machine.
When you use your credit card abroad in a currency other than sterling, we convert the amount to sterling using the exchange rate set by Visa on the date the transaction is charged to your account. For more information on Visa Exchange check the Visa website.
Visa - Illustrative Cost Examples based on a €100 (Euro) transaction
^Visa exchange rate of €1 = £0.887578 as at 1 June 2019
Mastercard - Illustrative Cost Examples based on a €100 (Euro) transaction
^^ MasterCard exchange rate of €1 = £0.887292 as at 1 June 2019
Tips when using your card abroad
Before you leave:
- Check the expiry date on your card.
- Make sure that you have enough funds in your account, or that your card payments are up-to-date.
- Photocopy your card and passport, but keep the photocopies separate.
- Write down the telephone numbers for our assistance call centre.
- Register for our alert service. You can register for text or email alerts to be sent to you to keep you informed about your finances.
When you get there:
- Try not to keep cards and cash in the same place - that way you won't lose everything.
- In crowded places, hold bags or wallets close to your body. A money belt can also be very useful.
- When using cash machines make sure they're secure and well lit, especially at night, and don't make it obvious that you're carrying cash.
- Memorise your Personal Identification Number (PIN) and do not write it down. If you do write it down you must disguise it so that it cannot be understood by anyone else.
- Remember to use your hand to shield PIN entry at point of sale or cash machine.
- Some cash machine providers may apply an additional withdrawal fee for using their cash machine.
- When you pay with your card, check the information on the sales voucher before you sign or enter your PIN.
- Make sure when paying with your card, that it's in sight at all times and that transactions are carried out in front of you.
- Use safety deposit boxes or room safes in hotels.
- Keep a copy of all sales receipts and check them against your statement. Contact us if there is anything on your statement you don’t recognise.
If you still can't find the answer you are looking for and you're logged on to online banking, you can contact us by secure message or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please remember, if emailing, do not include any account related information for security purposes.