Frequently asked questions

The best way to contact cahoot is by secure email from your online banking homepage. Alternatively, you can call us on 0800 587 1111. We're open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, and 9am to 5pm on Saturday (if calling from outside the UK please dial +44 1908 937 222). You'll need to answer some brief security questions to access your account information. 

Or you can write to us at: cahoot, 9 Nelson Street, Bradford, BD1 5XS

You can read our tips for using your debit/ credit card abroad. If you intend to use your cahoot debit/ credit card abroad please send a secure message to let us know the dates you'll be away and the countries that you'll be visiting. We'll then know that any transactions made are genuine.

It's a free service that lets you switch your current account from one participating bank or building society to another. It's been designed to be simple, reliable and hassle free and is backed by the Current Account Switch Guarantee. 

What if another bank or building society does not offer the Current Account Switcher Service?

If you open a new account with another bank or building society which does not offer the Current Account Switch Service ('the Switch Service') you can still switch your account, although the switch is not guaranteed under the Current Account Switch Service. 

  • Your new bank or building society will request a list of mandates from us within 2 working days of receiving your authorisation to switch
  • We will provide a list of mandates to your new bank or building society within 5 working days of receiving the request. If we are unable to service this request, we will inform your new bank or building society as to why we cannot comply within 2 working days. For example, we have not received a signed authorisation form; we cannot find the customer on our records; there are no mandates on the account or it is a savings account and not a current account
  • Your new bank or building society will set up payment mandates within 5 working days of receiving the mandate list from us
  • We will cancel your payment mandates and if you have chosen to close your account with us, we will close your account and transfer any positive balance to your new bank on the date specified in your authorisation form. If there is a circumstance which prevents the closure of your account, we will inform you promptly
  • We will not charge for this service.

How do I make a complaint about my switch?

If you're not happy with the switching service we're providing, please refer to the 'how do I make a complaint' FAQ which provides details of how we deal with complaints and your right to make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service. 

From 6 April 2016, all interest payments received will be paid gross, even if this is for interest accrued before this date. 

Banks and building societies will still be required to take tax from any compensation interest paid. For further information please refer to the HMRC website 

If you’re a TPP providing account information or payment initiation services and want to read more about how to use/access our APIs, you can find the technical specifications on our developer portal. (When you follow this link you’ll see Santander UK plc’s developer portal as cahoot is a division of Santander UK plc.)

We've changed the way you pay someone new

Find out more about making a new payment

With cahoot each individual receives a Personal Savings Allowance based on their tax status, which they will use against their equal share of the interest. If you hold joint accounts with other providers you'll need to check this with them. 

If we hold information about you, you can request a copy of it and to have any inaccuracies corrected where necessary. Please call us on 0800 587 1111. We're open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, and 9am to 5pm on Saturday (if calling from outside the UK please dial +44 1908 937 222). 

To find out more about your information rights visit the website of the Information Commissioner.

The new Account Summary makes it simple for you to complete a tax return. It details the interest paid and tax deducted for any savings and current accounts you hold with cahoot. 

The Account Summary is automatically available to you in online banking within e-Documents on the left hand side. A secure message will be sent to notify you when it’s available to view. 

A Tax Deduction Certificate is also available on request by calling us on 0800 587 1111. We're open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, and 9am to 5pm on Saturdays (if calling from outside the UK please dial +44 1908 937 222).

You need Adobe Acrobat to view and print PDF documents that appear on this website. To download this program for free visit the Adobe website. You'll also find useful tools and resources on the Adobe website if you want to read PDF documents with a screen reader. 

To re-activate a dormant account, we need two forms of identification that must not be from the same company. We can accept: recent credit card statements (but not store card statements), bank or building society statements and utility bills (such as gas, electricity). Take a look at our full list of acceptable identification

At cahoot it is important to us that we continue to improve our services and products and provide you with the service you expect. We want to know when things don’t go well so we have the opportunity to put them right for you and potentially other customers.

How to contact us

The best way to contact us is over the phone so that we can talk to you in person and take action to resolve the issue for you.

You can call us on 0800 587 1111

If you would prefer, you can contact us using one of these other methods. It is important that you provide us with a daytime contact number so we can call you to discuss the matter with you if we need to:

Send us a secure message via ‘contact us’ from your personal homepage at

Alternatively, you can write to us at:
cahoot, 1 Mays Meadow, Belfast, BT1 3PH.

Our promise

We will do everything we can to resolve your concern promptly and fairly. Our commitment is that we will listen to you, we will contact you if we require more information to investigate the issue you have raised and where we have made a mistake we will put things right for you.

If we can resolve your complaint within 3 business days following the day we received it, we’ll send you confirmation of this and we’ll let you know about the Financial Ombudsman Service at this time.


Complaints relating to payments in or out of your account:

These include complaints about making or receiving payments on your Current Account, Credit Card or Instant Savings account.

  • We'll send you our final response as soon as we've completed our investigation.  We have 15 days to resolve these complaints.
  • If there are exceptional circumstances we may take longer than 15 days to investigate your complaint, however, we'll resolve all payment complaints within 35 days. We'll write to you to let you know if we need longer than 15 days, we'll also send you details about how to refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman if you'd prefer not to wait for us to finish our investigation.

All other complaints:

  • Although we have 56 days to resolve your complaint, we'll send you our final response as soon as we've completed our investigation.
  • We'll also keep you informed in writing along the way so you'll know when to expect to hear from us.
  • If we haven't been able to finalise our investigation by 56 days we'll send you a letter letting you know and what steps you can take.  These will include letting you know you can go to the Financial Ombudsman Service if you'd prefer not to wait until we've completed our investigation.

Following our response

If you do not agree with our resolution once we have completed our investigation then you can choose to come back to us using any of the contact routes above.

Alternatively, you can choose to go to:

The Financial Ombudsman Service

If you don’t agree with our resolution of your complaint and you’d like to take it further, you can ask the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) to look into it. This is a free, independent and impartial service that helps resolve disputes.

Although you can refer your complaint to the FOS at any time, they’ll ask for our permission to investigate complaints where:

  • You haven’t complained to us first, to give us the chance to put things right
  • You have complained to us, but we haven’t given you our Final Response yet and we’re still within our timescales.

We’ll send you the full details of our decision in our final response, including your right to refer your complaint to the FOS. If you do so, it should be within 6 months of the date on our final response.

Phone: 0800 0 234 567 (free from UK landlines and mobiles)
Post: Financial Ombudsman Service,
Exchange Tower, London E14 9SR

EU Online Dispute Resolution (ODR)

If you purchased your product or service with us online and you live in the EU, you can submit your complaint to the FOS via the European Commission's Online Dispute Resolution platform.

While you’re free to use this route, we recommend you contact the FOS directly using the details above, as this will save you time. Their website also has an online form:

You can access the ODR platform at and you’ll need to quote our ODR mailbox:
If you'd like to know more, our 'How to complain' leaflet details how we deal with complaints promptly and fairly. 

You can send us a secure message from the online banking 'Help & contact us' tab or you can call us on 0800 587 1111. We're open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, and 9am to 5pm on Saturday (if calling from outside the UK please dial +44 1908 937 222). 

Alternatively, you can write to us at: cahoot, 1 Mays Meadow, Belfast, BT1 3PH. You'll need to return any cards or cheque books held on the account. These should be cut in half for security purposes.  

Any Direct Debit mandates (used to pay bills) arranged on the account, should be cancelled prior to closure of the account. Please allow 14 days for the closure to take effect. 

If you have been affected by your travel provider going into administration, and have paid using your credit or debit card, you can use our Travel Company Liquidation Form to raise a claim.